Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Back to Work




WIP
Colored Pencil Drawing
12 x 16"
My youngest son (and the last one at home) was invited to travel with his very good friend and family to Pittsburgh for a few days. This was a surprise and unexpected, but said friend was not happy about travelling without a friend in tow (many 9-year old little boys have a tendency to feel this way).
With mixed feelings, I allowed him to go, not because I do not trust the family, on the contrary, that was not a problem at all. It's just that knowing my youngest is beginning to move out into the world without his parents brings up some bittersweet feelings.
I jotted down a quote I found the other day, presumably to pass on to my dear friends who are taking their children to college soon. But I think I needed to have it around for me, as well.
"Your children are not your children, they are the sons and daughters of life's longing for itself. They come through you but are not from you, and though they are with you, yet they belong not to you." - Kahlil Gibran.
So, while both missing my son and revelling in the time alone, I worked all day yesterday (until about 1 a.m.!) on this rather large piece. I hope to finish it very soon. He goes back to school next week; so surley by then.....

2 comments:

Nichole said...

that looks Good rhon!
i think the next art project should be something for my dorm room! YAY! Love cole

Rhonda Bartoe Tucker said...

A nude of you possibly?
Love,
MomRhon