Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Still at It

WIP
Colored Pencil Drawing
12 x 16"
I am still working on this piece and feel like I am struggling with it. Most of the time, I have a distinct vision of what I am working toward; other times the vision is a little blurry and the end result begins to emerge as I work. This is definitely one of those "emergence pieces". I will know when it's finished - not there yet, but very close.
My time spent making art has been eroded lately due to tending to the business side of my work. It's not the fun stuff, but I do know that if I want any kind of success, these are things I must take care of and can't ignore. This side of the business should be taught in art school so that it's not a complete surprise when you really begin to work out in the real world. (Thank goodness I had many years of experience in corporate America!) Here's just a sampling of what I've been doing:
  • Inventory and catalog my work
  • Take new work to the framer
  • Spend time with the printer, proof and order prints
  • Design and order new marketing materials
  • Keep track of financial matters
  • Schedule commissions
  • Prepare and package prints for resale
  • Package and mail e-bay orders
  • Constantly pursue and follow up on new opportunities to display my work

And that's just the basics. There's so much to do and many of us spend 30 to 50% of our time on this stuff. Not fun, but necessary.

Nevertheless, it is all worth it when I get to spend hours and hours making art. It's the best job I've ever had and I love it!

1 comment:

Quilt knit said...

Hi! Rhonda: Your lady is floating in a cloud. She needs to be tied down to the ground. The plant is floating with Her. Makes a very surreal atmosphere.

((( Circle of Hugs )))

Sherrie