Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Back from Bolivia

"After Her Bath"
ACEO Original Colored Pencil Drawing
2.5 x 3.5"
SOLD
(50% of sale goes to Bolivian orphanage fund)


I've been back from Bolivia for about a week now. But I'm still sorting though everything I experienced and it's been hard. Lot's to digest and to figure out. I know there's more I have to do.
From the start, I knew this trip would not be a vacation, but a working journey. It was that, physical labor including pickaxes and shovels and altitude. But, being fairly strong, I did fine; I was prepared for that. I was prepared to see some things that would be difficult to see, and I did. I knew I would see and meet needy children, and I did.
That being said, I was not prepared for the emotional side of this kind of work. It's very hard to describe and to share, too. There were moments when I felt sheer joy and others when I felt extremely sad; and sometimes both emotional extremes at once.
Such was the case when we visited an already established local orphanage in Cochabamba close to where we stayed. We walked over hoping to meet the director and give some gifts to the kids. We ended up spending several hours playing, bathing and, most of all, touching the children. They so wanted to be held and touched. It was hard to leave. Joy and sorrow.
The child in today's ACEO drawing is a little girl of about 2 from that orphanage. She was fresh from her bath and just beautiful.
I know that I am fortunate in so many ways. For those to whom much is given, much is expected. I buy into this 100%. Therefore, I will be donating 50% of any work inspired by or depicting the people or places I saw in Bolivia to raising more funds to finish Phase I of the orphanage we worked on. I will be posting a "Bolivian" piece at least once a week.
A piece of my heart stayed behind in Bolivia. I'm going back as often as I can.


1 comment:

Serena Lewis said...

Great to see you back, Rhonda, and it's wonderful you are continuing to raise funds to help the orphanage. The ACEO is beautiful.